Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Birthday 2012

Well another year is successfully in the books.  I don't feel a day over 45, which is good cause that's how old I am.  Usually on my birthday, I go to work, come home, drink beer and sleep. This year I took the day off. The beer drinking and sleep are still on the table however.

Birthdays are a time to reflect on one's station.  I have to admit, I've got it pretty good.  Good friends, good kids.  I just bought a red sports sedan, and I have a smoking hot blonde wife so my midlife crises needs have been met.

I think  that today more than any  time in the last 20 years I can say I am truly at peace.  I don't usually get sappy but the story about my smoking hot wife and excellent kids needs to be told.

I met Nicole in 1999.  She was married to another guy who is the bio father of my daughter Bailee.  I was seeing someone else at the time too.  In 2003 after Nicole had divorced, and I had broken up with my girlfriend, I happened to call her and ask her to meet for drinks.  She agreed and we've been together ever since. (well except for a brief period in 2004 when i was apparently brain dead).

Nicole makes me a better man. Period. Just her being in my life has been all the difference in the last 10 years. She has been supportive through all kinds of crazy family shit.  And I mean Defcon 1 Crazy.  She was a rock when my mom passed away and most of all she has helped me become a better dad.

About the dad thing.  As I mentioned above, Nicole's first husband, Jason, is Bailee's bio-father.  I was at the hospital for her birth in 2000 and she was 2 1/2 when Nicole and I started dating in 2003.  After Rowan was born in 2006, we thought it would be good for Bailee to have my last name.  Jason agreed and signed off on my adoption of her and on May 8 2008 it was official.

Being a father to both these girls is fun, funny and frustrating, and that's just before breakfast- seriously none of my three ladies is a morning person- every day is a fight to get them up.  I digress, both Bailee and Rowan are their own people.  They're feisty, opinionated and hysterical.  They both have a naughty streak a mile wide and I probably spoil them too much, but what the hell.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyday with these women is a gift in my life.  My birthday is just a good day to write about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment